Sunday, August 5, 2012

The Wonder of Hummingbirds

"Hummingbird darts lightly through the world, spreading its message of joy and beauty, and teaching us to appreciate the wonder and magic of everyday existence. Hummingbird brings the gift of joy. Learn to laugh and be happy." ~Unknown author


I love seeing hummingbirds. They do seem nearly magic as they hover and drink from the throats of flowers. Just the sight of them or the sound of them buzzing past my head brings a smile. I put out a feeder every year to attract the little jewels of nature to my porch. The ruby-throated hummer is the only one I've ever seen in this area, but he's a beauty. And a wonder as shown in this quote. 

 "The ruby-throated hummingbird is a wonder of migration. Every winter it makes an amazing journey. Some have been known to make a journey of 2500 miles or more, from Alaska to Central America. Because of it, the hummingbird is a symbol for accomplishing that which seems impossible. It will teach you how to find the miracle of joyful living from your own life circumstances." ~ Ted Andrews 

The one in my picture is a female. Amazingly enough, every spring the very first time I see this hummer or one like her is when she buzzes my office window as though to tell me, "Okay, I'm here. Get with it and put that feeder out." I obey her command and don't see her at my window again. At least not until I have flowers in my window boxes. Then she just works through the flowers and ignores the window. Unless I let the feeder run dry the way I did today. And here she is, not sipping from the flowers, but instead hovering on the outside of my window and staring straight at me as if to say, "What's the matter with you? Don't you know a hummingbird has to eat?" Needless to say, the hummingbird feeder is freshly cleaned and filled this evening.


Thinking about hummingbirds and the way they can astound us seems to fit well with the Olympics going on now. Those athletes do amazing things through dedication and training. Every day in the gym or running or swimming. For hours. Every day for years. Focused completely on improving their natural abilities to compete on the world's stage. I watched some of the women doing the hurdles today. Looked as impossible to me as the hummingbird flying backward.  

One more beautiful hummingbird quote
  
"Hummingbird shows us how to re-visit the past for the purpose of releasing it instead of being caught in a permanently backward flight pattern. It also helps us to see that if we step aside we may see our life differently. Hummingbird teaches us to transcend time, to recognize that what has happened in the past and what might happen in the future is not nearly as important as what we are experiencing now. It teaches us to hover in the moment, to appreciate its sweetness." - Constance Barrett Sohodski

May we all hover in the moment and appreciate its sweetness. As always, thanks for reading. Do you have a hummingbird story? If so, share it with us. 

8 comments:

  1. Hi Ann, I love hummingbirds, too. I always put out a feeder each year. Last year I was needed to take care of my mom for five months and my husband wasn't as diligent (which means he didn't do it at all!) keeping the feeder cleaned & filled. I didn't think the little Hummy would come back but my neighbor had put out a feeder and so little Hummy was at his feeder and when the liquid ran out Hummy faithfully came to my feeder and has been feeding ever since. It's amazing how smart they are and how trained we humans become when they flutter their little wings. I absolutely love nature and have a house finch nest with 2 babies in one of my ferns hanging on my porch. How they can ride out the storms we've had lately is beyond me. Have a blessed week....Linda McFarland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enticed your hummer back, Linda. They do sometimes forget to come back if you miss a while of keeping the feeder full. I had a Carolina Wren that nested in one of my hanging pots once. Every time I watered it, she'd fly out and give me a start. Guess it gave her a start too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ann, how I enjoy reading your journals, I love hummingbirds, and I so like the quotes about the hummingbirds, they are beautiful! I don't have a hummingbird story, but I do have one of a gray dove mom who nested on one of my hanging planters, she made a really pretty pic sitting on top of it, and I did take a pic of it,also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Janie. I'm always glad to see your comments. I liked the hummingbird quotes too. Especially the one about hovering in the moment. Too often we're looking back or looking ahead instead of noticing now.

      We sometimes have doves that next in our apple tree out front.

      Delete
  4. When I think of hummingbirds I think of my grandmother. She was from Louisville, Ky. and I remember when we'd go back to her hometown and visit with relatives that one of my cousins and this huge back porch and we'd sit on the porch and talk. My cousin had so many hummingbirds in her backyard..Just remember some good talks and brings back sweet memories for me..A much simplier time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a special memory, Laura. That makes hummingbirds doubly joyful for you. I know a lady who used to put out lots of feeders instead of just one the way I do. There were hummingbirds everywhere. Fun!

      Delete
  5. I've just now read this blog entry and I also love hummingbirds NOW and I have several plants and flowers that draw them to my home. Cypress vine, Rose of Sharon and the Moonflower bush are their favorites at my place.
    I say I love them NOW because as a teenager, hummingbirds would swoop down on our patio and I felt like I was going to be attacked. Funny how age can change your perspective!!
    I especially love the first quote because they do give me such joy and I am always glad to see them return and hate to see them leave!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you skipped back and read about the hummingbirds, Connie. They can buzz past your head like little buzz saws. And I too am always glad to put out my feeder and sorry to bring it in come winter. I need more flowers to bring them in. I have a few they like, but would love to have more. Smiles on wings.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation. I like hearing what you have to say. Thanks for dropping by.