And since I'm talking about books, have you ever given up on a book? Just got tired of it and shut it and didn't pick it back up? I hope not one of mine. Or do you always finish every book you start whether you like it or not? I think I may have asked this question once before, but the reason it's back on my mind is that I've started a book I'm thinking about putting back on the shelf without finishing. It's an award winner, has great reviews, and looks like a book I would want to read. It's well written with finely drawn characters. But there's nobody I can like. It starts out with a ten-year-old narrating and you'd think anybody could like a ten-year-old girl. I want to. I really do, but I'm finding it hard. I think because I don't feel any hope in the story. I have the bad feeling things aren't going to get better and the child will never find a way that is not so difficult, not so depressing and that life is going to beat her down.
Bad things can happen in stories. I don't quit on them because of that. I might be unhappy if a character I care about is done in without good cause. I know. I know. I hear all of you screaming at me that I let people die in my stories, but only if that's what really happened. A writer has to stay true to her story and I think the writer of the book I'm ready to give up on is doing that. Maybe my problem is that I don't like her story. I miss that hope factor. Of course, I haven't put it back on the shelf yet. Perhaps I'll trudge on with her a few more pages. Would you?
January is being a cold one here in Kentucky. We're supposed to get down to 8 tonight and zero tomorrow night. It's been a while since it was that cold, but I remember much colder temps when I was growing up. Once the thermometer actually read 22 below. Very cold. And another time - after they came up with the wind chill temperatures to make you freeze a little faster -the wind chill was 47 below on Christmas Eve. That was a cold one and people's cars froze up while they were trying to get home for Christmas celebrations. I've been reading a Civil War diary and in it the diarist says it was 18 below on January 4, 1864, the coldest winter they'd had since 1835. So 8 degrees and zero sound almost balmy in comparison. Of course I haven't heard that nasty wind chill number yet.
So stay warm and remember, when the cold winds are blowing outside that's a great time to be cozy in your favorite reading chair with a cup of tea or hot chocolate and a book that is full of hope. And practice some kindness to keep us warm.
- "One kind word can warm three winter months." -Japanese Proverb
Ann, I so agree with you about the hope factor in books. I think that's primarily why I read and write inspirational fiction - it lifts you up and leaves you with hope. That's a successful book, despite what the market may say! And then there's the bestselling book of all time - the Bible - full of hope:)
ReplyDeleteStay warm - we're freezing in Harrodsburg, too!
ReplyDeleteJust to let you know, the Mercer Library finally got a copy of The Outsiders - they run months behind new releases. So, a shortened copy of my review on the book ran in this week's Harrodsburg Herald. You can check out this review at: MCPLib.