Sunday, January 15, 2012

Editing The Gifted

What do you think of Jessamine here? I don't often let my heroines have blonde hair. Mostly I want them to have dark hair or auburn hair. It goes back to when I was a kid and everybody was always talking about how cute the blue-eyed, blonde girls were. Me, I wasn't blonde. Me, I had eyes that couldn't make up their mind if they were green or gray or, as my son told me once when he was very young, yellow. I preferred to think of them as having flecks of gold. :)

So when I started making up stories, my characters, especially the girls, weren't blonde. My heroines might be blue-eyed brunettes or redheads, but definitely not blondes. That is, until Jessamine. Jessamine is beautiful with hair like spun gold and eyes the color of cornflowers. But that's not the best thing about Jessamine. The best thing is her spirit.

I've been editing The Gifted all week. I don't mind editing. Well, maybe I should "edit" that a bit. I don't mind editing - I even like editing - when it's my idea. Actually, I've been blessed with wonderful editors at Revell for all my inspirational novels and I've not resisted their suggestions to make the stories better except once or twice. Even then, after sleeping on the editor's suggestions, I began to see the light - the editor's light. An editor simply wants to make the story the best it can be. That's what I want too, so I start editing. 

Most of the time, after thinking there's absolutely no way I can do whatever the editors want without having to rewrite the whole thing completely, I figure out a way to make the changes without that much angst. I usually end up agreeing that the editor was right. Sometimes that's almost like admitting your husband is right about something you've insisted he was wrong about for a week. Let's just say, it ain't always easy. 


I didn't have that trouble with these edits. They were fairly simple and I found myself writing "Okay" in a lot of the comment boxes to indicate whatever the editor suggested worked. My editors have nudged me toward being a better writer, more aware of the mistakes I often make while writing. Like that pet word I seem to always bring along to every new manuscript. It's gotten so that every time I type the word "just" or "still," I start hitting the delete key. You'll never believe what my pet word or I guess I should say words were in this book. "Of course." Of course, it was. I'm through with the edits but I'll have to do a search for those of courses. I caught a few, but my eyes must have slid right over the others. My sweet editor counted them for me. You know, this technology stuff is too handy at finding a writer's props and knocking them out from under her.

This is the last sneak peek I'm going to give of Jessamine until June. Got to think about Words Spoken True right now and I'm very excited about readers cracking open that book. Very excited! So excited that I'm coming up with a new celebration giveaway. I'll unveil the prizes soon. Before that, here's a giveaway just for those of you who read my blog. Leave a comment between now and when I receive copies of my new book in the next week or so, and one of you will win an autographed copy of Words Spoken True hot off the press. Each time you leave a new comment on a different post, your name will go in the drawing again. And if only one of you comments, then you know what? You'll have a pretty good chance of winning. 


Thanks for reading. It's always good to have you come by to walk with me down my meandering thinking lane. Hope you have a great week.

Thanks

15 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read "the gifted". I find it interesting that you pointed out that this is your first blond. As my excitement builds to find what else makes her so different...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Sandra. Of course, being the one who comes up with these characters, I'm like a proud mother who thinks all her "children/characters" are different and special. I think so with Adriane in Words Spoken True too. So I'm always hoping readers will think the same. I do think my readers who like my Shaker stories will enjoy Jessamine and maybe Adriane too even though her story is much too romantic to have any connection with Shakers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, my wonderful mother got me hooked on your books. She is even more excited than I to get her hands on Words Spoken True. I also found it interesting about the "blonde" reference, since I am a brunette. I always enjoy reading a book where the heroine is a redhead or a brunette. I understand where you are coming from. ;) I can't wait to read about Adriane's romance, after Mom has gotten her hands on it, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Debbie. Great to hear from you on here and what fun that your mom is liking my books. I so appreciate hearing that. And for sure, us brunettes have to stick together. Of course mine is getting streaked with another color. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited reading your books - I have gotten my Mom hooked on them and we both enjoy them so much.

    Our bookclub is going to be picking out books for the year, and I would love to have you Skype with us sometime if you could. Do you have a favorite book that our bookclub should consider?

    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun, Belinda, to read that you've hooked your mom on my books right after Debbie says her mom has hooked her on my books. I'm just glad moms and daughters are reading my books. Family book clubs are the best. Love talking books with my daughter.

    I'd love to skype with your book club. Angel Sister has been a popular pick, but then other clubs have enjoyed discussing the Shaker beliefs and lifestyle. There are discussion questions availabl on line for most of me books. If you have trouble finding them, let me know and I'll post some links or send them to you. You can contact me directly from my website. www.annhgabhart.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to win one of your books, The cover for Giftes is really awesome. t's a beautiful cover. Please enter me in your contest. I know any book you write will be a winner.
    Thanks,
    Connie
    Juzona@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would so love to win this and review it for you. God Bless you. I am a brunette too and love being one. I have never had a desire to be blond.
    jrs362 at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never wanted to be a blonde either, Jane. Wished a few red highlights into my hair at times. Auburn just sounds so pretty. It would be great to have you review my book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Connie, you are so kind. Glad you like the cover for The Gifted. I appreciate you following me through several books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I dont put too much weight on a books cover, but i can understand why some place pretty pictures on its cover for marketing purposes. I go by what's on the inside myself. Richard

    ReplyDelete
  12. Richard, what's inside is what's important in a book, but a great cover can sometimes make the difference in which book a person will pick up off a shelf. Especially if the person isn't familiar with the author's other books or it's a first book by the author. Then word of mouth is probably the best advertisement.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree with Richard that what is important is the content instead of a beautiful cover but it is apparent that beautiful covers and beautiful illustrations draw attention to the book. We have found that children will pick a book with beautiful colors over ones that may be black and white and they are often the same book!! I'm sure we adults are the same :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh ann i love your writing. Please pick me to win a book from you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nancy, thanks so much for your comment. I'm still smiling. I'm going to have to give away more books if I keep getting nice pats on the back like yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation. I like hearing what you have to say. Thanks for dropping by.