Sunday, May 20, 2012

Graduation - A Commencement

  There is a good reason they call these ceremonies "commencement exercises." Graduation is not the end, it's the beginning. ~Orrin Hatch

On Friday, my oldest granddaughter graduated from high school. Here she is walking into the chapel where the ceremony was held. My son is the man in the picture watching her. It seems not all that many years ago that I was the parent watching him come down the aisle to line up with all his classmates and receive his diploma. A rite of passage that thousands of young people and parents are going through across the country.

In some ways it's as much an ending and a beginning for the parents as it is for the young people. The teen years are ending. Their child is ready to step out into the world and try his or her wings. I remember sending my son out into that world of independence. He was off to college the next year after working through the summer. He came home for visits and school breaks, but he never truly lived at home again. It was just a place to rest a few days or weeks before heading off on his journey to the rest of his life. Now he's beginning that time with his daughter - hoping her wings will be strong and her future good. His wings were strong and he's always soared high in life. That's what I wish for his daughter, my beautiful granddaughter. A good future with love and family and work that is fulfilling and makes her happy.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined. ~Henry David Thoreau

Have you lived the life you imagined? Or maybe one that turned out better than anything you might have imagined? And if you have a cherished child or grandchild graduating this year, what do you wish for him or her? 

Thanks for reading. And remember, if you want to throw your name in the hat for the May drawing for a copy of one of my books, you've still got time. Just send me an e-mail or leave a comment here with a way to contact you if you win. Also e-book copies of Angel Sister and Words Spoken True will be at reduced prices until the end of May.

6 comments:

  1. No, I have not lived the life I imagined. I was raised in a large family in a very old Victorian home in the suburbs of Philadelphia. It was the late 50's and early 60's and being the oldest female I was truely being "prepped" for motherhood. All the morals and values of my mostly Pennsylvania Dutch/German ancestors and the culture of that time period, prepared me for marriage and motherhood and little else. My father was offended that I even thought of working outside of the home prior to motherhood. Fast forward....fourteen years later and I had become a single parent raising 2 young children on my own. My job became a career, my nights were spent obtaining (several) degrees. My free time (LOL) was filled with my children's activities, housework, yard work, homework, overtime and the occasional visit to my parents and siblings....who along with me had all relocated to South Florida. N....nothing like I had pictured.
    I am currently reading ANGEL SISTER and loving it. I have ordered WORDS SPOKEN TRUE. I would LOVE to win any of your other books as I am sure they will be fun reads for me! bettysunflower@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if any of us know what life to imagine when we're young, Betty. Things happen that none of us expect. Life takes us on some interesting journeys. Hope the life you did live and are living was and is a good one even though it wasn't what you expected when you were a child.

    Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and for reading my books too. I'll throw your name in my May giveaway drawing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I was raised with expectations of what was good for me for my future life and what wasn't.My dad had strong work ethics, and instilled them in us. I,also was raised in a large family, and was raised during the middle 50's and 60's.
    My dad was a farmer, and everyone in the family was expected to pitch in and help out.We raised crops,and worked them.We would eat off our land-we had cows, chickens, pigs and the crops yielded lots of produce.On top of working hard, we had to keep up good grades through out all our school years. He encouraged each one of us to finish high school, and go on to college,or learn a trade. We were 6 girls and 4 boys. He always told the girls, that he wanted them to get enough schooling so, just in case the husband left us,we would not be without a good job to support ourselves.He would be pleased that I went on to college and became a nurse, as a matter of fact-4 of my other sisters became nurses. My life has turned out better,than I imagined it would be and for that I feel very blessed-married for 40yrs, and have a wonderful family of 2- I didn't want a big family,lol. Our children have both accomplished masters degrees,and hold very good jobs that not only pay well,but that they also like. My husband and I are now retired, and enjoy our hobbies and our visits to our children-life is good.
    Isn't this funny how Betty and I have some similar things- because I am currently also reading Angel Sister. It is a wonderful story of love and family! I wouldn't mind winning some of your books,Ann, since I so very much have enjoyed the ones I have read. janiefreeman@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janie, thanks so much for sharing about your life and what was expected of you by your father. He must have been a wonderful dad to you. I also grew up on a farm and was expected to pitch in. It was just the way it was. You got up and worked on the farm if there was work to do you could help with. And we had ate off our land too. Good eating, but when I was a kid, a hot dog was a big treat for me since we had roasts, fried chicken, and country ham all the time. LOL. Ten kids. That was a big family and I can read between the lines that you all shared a lot of love growing up. I only had two sisters and no brothers. So glad you've had a good life and that your children are doing well too.

    And thanks for reading my Angel Sister. I'll add your name to my giveaway drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My youngest Rebekah graduated last week. How bittersweet. I am not ready for her to leave the nest, yet she is so excited to to go away to school in the fall. I truly pray that I have taught her the right things. I know she is a good kid, but I still worry. She has spent her 4 Highschool years as the Drum Major. She has traveled the country playing trumpet with the Mandarins Drum and Bugle Corps and will this year be the Drum Major for them as well.

    I am excited for Rebekah and all my girls to experience everything that life has waiting for them. It is my prayer that they will always achieve great things. I pray for the same things for your granddaughter as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to see that youngest graduatate, but it is so wonderful to know they are ready to try their wings. Sounds as if she's already been doing some wonderful things during her high school years. College will be that much more fun for her. And your prayers will be the wind beneath her wings. Thank you also for your prayers for my granddaughter's success in school and life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation. I like hearing what you have to say. Thanks for dropping by.