Thursday, October 11, 2012

In Steinbeck Country



I’ve been in Monterey Bay all week enjoying a writer’s retreat hosted by my literary agency. I’m a long way from home in a lot of ways. Distance for sure, but not as long as some of the other attendees. One writer, Marion Stroud, and her husband are here England. They have been gifting us all week with their lovely accent. Of course, they say we are the ones who have the accent. Another writer, Cathy West and her husband are here from the Bahamas. From one paradise to another.  Me, I’m here from Kentucky – still a long ways by road or air. Took me all day to get here. Will take me all day to get home.
But distance isn’t the only way it’s a long way. I sit here now in the pre-dawn light when at home it’s mid-morning. The waves are crashing against the rocks outside my window. At home, I’d have to walk a ways to hear a creek running downhill over rocks.  Here, I have new and old friends, but no family. Here, I am among dozens of great writers, experienced writers, who are ready and willing to talk and share and give hints on how to improve. At home, all those writer ideas have to come from me.
This is Steinbeck country. He lived here. He loved the place and wrote about it in Cannery Row. Yesterday at lunch he showed up in his slouch hat and sunglasses while we were eating that fabulous dessert I posted on Facebook. Well, not really him, but an actor who pretended to be him and gave us his history. Writers always are eager to hear how our writers did it and he had a beautiful command on the language. Steinbeck, I mean. So we enjoyed.
I am enjoying. Great scenery. Great history. Great company. Today I have more opportunity to learn. I’ll share more when I make that looonnng trip back to where I belong – my home. My roots. That’s what Steinbeck had too. Roots here in Cannery Row.
Where are your roots?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ann,
    My roots are now in Georgia, but for many years they were in Owensboro, Ky.
    Hope your week is going well.
    Blessings,
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann,
      Both our roots are from Michigan, my wife for several generations, while my grandparents came here from Kentucky and Indiana. I recognised the pictures you posted as we visited Monterrey this past summer and strolled down Cannery Row ourselves. We really enjoyed the aquarium there!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Cathy and Kevin for sharing your roots. Sounds as if both of you might have some offshoot roots in the same grounds as mine. Kevin, Monterey is a beautiful place. A summer there must have been fabulous.

      Delete
  2. Hello Ladies, I too have Ky roots and made my way to Ga many years ago, I try to go "Home" as often as I can and the memories of Ky will always be formost in my mind..
    Paula O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kentucky roots seem to grow deep, Paula.

      Delete

Thanks for joining the conversation. I like hearing what you have to say. Thanks for dropping by.