Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Mysteries of Spring


I had fun with my last mystery picture that wasn't much of a mystery for some of you. So how about this one? Got a guess before you read on? 

While you're thinking about it, let's talk about Spring. Here in Kentucky it was so cool in March that spring tarried and dragged its feet, but then April came along with sunshine and rain. Everything in sight burst into bloom. Redbuds, dogwoods, crab apples, lilacs, Bradford pear trees, tulips, to name a few. 

And the dandelion. 

People who want perfect lawns don't have much affection for the lowly dandelion, but I sort of like them. I made them a part of Lacey's story in The Blessed, by having her do a dandelion dance in the spring. And some years ago, I wrote this devotional about them. Here's a bit of it. If you want to read the rest of the devotional, you can find it on my website at this link, Ann's Dandelion Devotional)

The Lesson of the Dandelion 
God made the dandelion and said, "It is good. This plant is tough but has a bloom like a spot of sun to make my children smile. It is plentiful so they can eat the leaves and still never lack for flowers." He smiled when the seed ball popped up. "Yes, my little children will have fun with that, and look at all the fresh seeds for my songbirds weary from the winter. Yes, it is good."

So now if you haven't already figured it out, you know the mystery photo. I took the picture a week or so ago when the dew was extra heavy on the dandelion fluffs. Made them sparkle in the early morning light.

"If dandelions were hard to grow, they would be most welcome on any lawn." ~Andrew V. Mason

"The miracles of nature do not seem miracles because they are so common. If no one had ever seen a flower, even a dandelion would be the most startling event in the world." 


 "It gives one a sudden start in going down a barren, stony street, to see upon a narrow strip of grass, just within the iron fence, the radiant dandelion, shining in the grass, like a spark dropped from the sun." ~Henry Ward Beecher

So happy dandelion hunting and maybe dancing if you take the notion. I think if you look, you'll find some. :)

Do you enjoy Spring? What's the best part for you?

10 comments:

  1. I couldn't figure it out, Ann. I thought it was some exotic flower, but a dandylion?? Fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dandelions are exotic flowers, Sue. We just don't realize it. :) Thanks for giving the mystery photo a look. Love the cover to your second book. Wasn't as impressed with the first one, but the second one shows more of the flavor of the books.

      Delete
  2. I do love dandelions, though they tend to spoil hubby's smooth, green expanse of lawn. Intrigued by the dandelion dance when I read The Blessed! Sounds like something my favorite auntie would do. Next time I visit her grave, I might cut loose. She'll be smiling. As always, love the post, Ann.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I see my first dandelion in the spring, Betty, I think about Lacey and her Dandelion Dance in The Blessed. Makes my feet itch to dance to welcome spring. Hope you do a little dancing in memory of your aunt.

      Delete
  3. I love dandelions, seeing a deep green field awash with waves of bright yellow dandelions is a fine happening always makes me smile. God doesnt make mistakes and they are a small part of this great earth he created. A beautiful sight to see,a hearty healthy addition to any meal for humans and critters alike. What is not to like??!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a greens eater, but I do think it's neat that there are so many ways to use and enjoy dandelions. I've even heard of people making dandelion wine. I just enjoy them being sunspots in the fields of green and then the birds feasting on their seeds.

      Delete
  4. I would have never guessed that one, have you seen the verse about "The common daisy" it compares life to that of the flower, I love to read it. My Mom used to eat dandilion greens.
    Paula O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never eaten the dandelion greens, but I have added a few to the kale, mustard and poke greens I've cooked for my husband. I personally haven't been hungry enough to eat anything that smells that bad while cooking. Maybe one of these days I'll have to give it a try. :) I haven't seen that verse, Paula, but it sounds like it would be inspiring.

      Delete
  5. I guessed dandelion! Yay for me! Not much affection for dandelions; however, as a child I loved blowing on them and scattering the seedheads. Now I just wince at the thought! In a lawn they just scream WEEDS! I do believe everything has a purpose I am just one that doesn't appreciate their purpose, same with snakes! As always fun blog, Ann....Have a super weekend! Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess my mystery picture wasn't much of a mystery for you, Linda. But glad you figured it out. I need a closer up lens to be able to take a true mystery photo the way they sometimes do in magazines. In the Readers' Digest they had the inside of a llama's mouth (or I may have the animal wrong). For sure, I would have never guessed that. But I'll try another mystery photo sometime. Dandelions don't bother me. In our yard as long as it's mostly green, we're happy. :)

      Delete

Thanks for joining the conversation. I like hearing what you have to say. Thanks for dropping by.