Sunday, September 1, 2013

Some Gave All - The Traveling Wall

I've never been to Washington DC to see the Vietnam Wall, so when I found out the Traveling Wall was coming to a town near me, I wanted to go. I've researched several different wars for my historical novels but so far, the closest I've come to writing about the Vietnam War was in Jerry's life testimony story, Angels at the Crossroads. Jerry didn't go to Vietnam but being drafted led to some of the crises in his life. 

The draft and the war were very real to kids my age. Boys I went to school with went to war. My brother-in-law worked on airplanes in the Philippines. My cousin was in Vietnam. The news every night showed boys dying in the Vietnam jungles. Those boys whose names now cover that black wall. 
So many names. So many soldiers who stood up for their country and didn't come home. As the sign said at the Wall, I touched the Wall and the Wall touched me. One of the flags had this on it. All gave some. Some gave all. 

I'm at Mom's tonight and the Internet is down. Doing this post on my phone. Not the easiest way to type and the phone sometimes puts words in my fingers I didn't have in my head. I did send out a newsletter this a.m. I'll tell you all about it and my new contest on Wednesday. That will give me the chance to find the recipe for that wicked looking chocolate cake. So come back then. If you can't wait and would like to get the newsletter now, comment with your email and I'll send it out to you. 

But tonight I'm remembering. If you are a vet, thank you! If you have a vet in your family, thank you for your worries and prayers for him or her. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Ann!

    Thanks for your comments! I've been to Washington & touched the Vietnam Wall there - a very inspiring, & emotional moment. Washington has so many wonderful, historical things to see & learn, & so much of it is free.

    As with the previous post of people being discriminated against, it seems there have always been wars (& always will be). I have mixed feelings re: war, from a religious viewpoint - I can understand both sides.

    I've never been personally engaged in warfare, nor been discriminated against to the point that I had to consider war - on a wide scale.
    There have been times in my past, when I felt discriminated against, & yes - it hurt. And I probably reacted with a "war-like" attitude. But - I have learned since, that God is the only Judge, & I can rely on Him to comfort me & right the wrongs.

    That being said - we have family pictures of my grandfather in his WWI uniform, my brother in his uniform (a cargo plane pilot in the Vietnam War & a retired vet), & now - my nephew, who is a chaplain & served in Iraq. We are a military family, & I am so grateful for the contributions of all military personnel that have insured my freedom. I pray for our servicemen everywhere - there are so many dangers for them - even here at home in the U.S..

    And - I pray for you, Ann, as you care for your Mom, & pen those words that inspire, entertain, encourage, & make us aware of the One who can meet all our needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments, bonton. It seems your family has certainly stepped up to the line when our country called on them. My grandfather was in WWI too. And I had a cousin who was drafted and served in Vietnam. I do appreciate servicemen and women who do give so much to serve.

      Perhaps someday I'll get to Washington D.C. I know I'd enjoy the Smithsonian Institute and all the other sights too. Thank you so much for your comment.

      Delete

Thanks for joining the conversation. I like hearing what you have to say. Thanks for dropping by.