Thursday, October 24, 2013

One More Puzzling Picture

"Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle." (Lewis Carroll) 

So to twist the quote a bit, what in the world is it? Are you tired of mystery photos yet? I hope not. I thought I'd do one more to let you keep guessing to perhaps win that copy of the newly packaged Orchard of Hope. I think Jocie and Wes would have had fun guessing on these mystery pictures too. Maybe I'll let Jocie come up with some sort of puzzle for her Hollyhill Book of the Strange blog. Jocie likes puzzles. Did you see her post about Beatlemania. Do you remember that? I do. I never swooned or screamed, but I sure did like singing "I Want to Hold Your Hand." Not exactly the greatest song ever written, but it grabbed our attention, didn't it?











But here is the rest of the picture of last Wednesday's mystery photo. Several of you were right on the money with your caterpillar guesses. You even told me exactly what kind of caterpillar and that they were tomato horn worms that becomes a sphinx moth. The bubbles that I thought were so neat were actually deadly to the poor caterpillar according to the info Kathleen found for us. Here's the last bit to explain the bubbles. (Not sure about her source.) "Here's this handy tidbit, if needed: Find out what kind of bug you have: Is it a good bug or a bad bug? Keep a look out for little caterpillar/worm like pests and spray or squish them. The only exception that I can bring to mind would be a tomato hornworm (green caterpillar) -- if it has a bunch of bubbles on its back, it is infected by a beneficial wasp that will eliminate a few generations of the hornworms. Leave them. They are on the way out anyway." 

You readers teach me so much. But now let's see what you teach me about the mystery picture up top. Oh yeah, and I loved your guesses on the last one - garden hose, cabbage leaves, lime halves, cactus leaves.  You were using your imaginations. Thanks for giving it a try. 

If you want to be in the drawing for a copy of Orchard of Hope, just make a guess on the mystery photo or any comment will do. If you've already guessed on one of the other photos, you'll get an extra entry for guessing on this one too. I'll pick three winners on November 1. 

32 comments:

  1. I'm smart enough to know this is not what it looks like , which is the center of some kind of flower . This will be another interesting answer . Faye Simer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you've enjoyed the mystery pictures, Faye, Come back for the answer next week. :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Ann, Here is the site from Organic Gardening ~ a comment in response to their post there ~ http://forums.organicgardening.com/topic/51820721208003412
    Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link, Kathleen. Love the info you gave us about the last mystery photo. And of course, you were right!!

      Delete
  3. I guess it's the center of a flower...maybe a mum of some sort?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some sort of something anyway, RW1010. Thanks for guessing.

      Delete
  4. with this cxoloring I will guess lavender but may be liatris????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh, I guess I'd better look up what a liatris is so I'll know if your guess is right, Anonymous. :)

      Delete
  5. Has to be some kind of flower part. Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying the photos, Ola. I have fun with them, but I'm going to have to find a way to make them more mysterious!

      Delete
  6. I too think it's the centre of a flower. Unless it's some kind of fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good guesses, Mary. We'll see who's right next week. :)

      Delete
  7. Flower petals? just trying. sharon, CA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for guessing, Sharon. I'll reveal the rest of the picture next week. And that's all any of us can do - just try!

      Delete
  8. Looks like a flower to me. Possible a type of chrysanthemum (spelling doesn't look correct). Love flowers!
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for guessing, Pat. The spelling of chrysanthemum never looks right!! But I love flowers too. Whether this is a flower or not remains to be seen.

      Delete
  9. Good Morning, Ann! The picture looks like the inside of a lily to me. I am no good when it comes to flower types but I sure enjoy their beauty. Thank you for the opportunity to be a winner in your giveaway. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for guessing, Melanie. I'm about to decide I might not be mysterious enough with my mystery pictures. But it isn't a lily. I'll reveal the rest of the photo in Wednesday's post here. Hope the week is starting off good for you.

      Delete
  10. Linda D. McFarlandOctober 27, 2013 at 8:10 PM

    Hi Ann, I see Kiwi seeds in the background, a pansy face also in the background, and I'm guessing some kind of stamen or is it pistil in the center of a flower. I marvel at what you see on your walks! Keep the mystery pictures coming! Keeps the brainwaves sharp! Have a blessed week....Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gave that picture a good look, Linda. I looked again and I think I can see that pansy face you're seeing. Could be we're both letting our eyes fool us. Glad you are having fun with the mystery photos. So am I!

      Delete
  11. These pictures have been so much fun. :) I'm thinking this one has to be the middle and petals of a certain flower. Pretty colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining in with the fun on my mystery pictures. I have fun with it too. So much that now when I see something out on my walks or wherever, I'm wondering, could I blow that up and trick some eyes with a fun picture. Since I'm just using my phone camera mostly, not all photos will blow up larger without blurring. This one's a little blurred. Check back Wednesday night for the rest of the picture.

      Delete
  12. Don't know how I missed this last week! I am guessing some type of flower. Thank you for this fun opportunity!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you checked it out, Britney and gave a guess. I'm revealing the "rest of the picture" on my post tonight.

      Delete
  13. I am thinking the inside of a flower. Not one I have ever seen or grown as I have a black thumb for sure!
    marypopmom (at) yahoo (dot) com Merry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not Ms. Greenjeans, eh, Mary? Me either. I sometimes forget to water my indoor plants. I'm revealing the rest of the flower tonight on my post. It is a very unusual looking flower.

      Delete
  14. It looks like part of a passion flower~ pretty petals. Loved your new cover for Orchard of Hope. Great series. Would like to reread them. :) Karen R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your guess, Karen. I'm revealing the rest of the picture on tonight's post. Glad you like the new cover for Orchard of Hope. I'll be sharing Summer of Joy's cover soon. It's quite a compliment that you wouldn't mind reading my Heart of Hollyhill books again. :) Thank you.

      Delete
  15. I agree it sort of looks like the passion flower, but could possibly be a silk weed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm revealing the rest of the photo tonight on my post, Anonymous. Thanks so much for dropping by, but I can't enter you in the drawing without a way to contact you.

      Delete
  16. I'm guessing some kind of flower, but I have no idea what kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, it is a very different flower as you will see when I post the "rest" of the photo tonight. Going to post one last mystery photo before I draw for my winners on Saturday, Nov. 1.

      Delete

Thanks for joining the conversation. I like hearing what you have to say. Thanks for dropping by.