Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Ever Dream of Living in a Castle

http://southernguidetolife.com/a-castle-for-sale-in-versailles-kentucky/
A man's house is his castle. ~James Otis

You expect to see horse farms in Kentucky. Or farms with cows grazing on the hillsides. You expect to see small towns and even a few big towns with high rising buildings. What you might not expect to see in Kentucky is a castle. But right here in Central Kentucky in plain view of a major highway between Lexington and Versailles, there sits a castle with stone walls and turrets. 

It's been on the market for a while at a price of 30 million. That includes the 55 acres around it. And the tennis courts and pool inside the walls. Not to mention the basketball court. Of course there are the crystal chandeliers, velvet drapes and marble floors too. And more. Much more. You can see some of the interior rooms at the link under the photo up top. Or here at the Castle Post website

Okay, so now some of you are wondering about a castle in Kentucky. It's got an interesting history. The first builders were a couple who had toured Europe in the 1960s and decided it would be fun to live in a castle. So they came home to Kentucky and began planning and building. The outside walls and turrets were built and some of the castle inside the walls when the dream fell apart and they got divorced. The castle stood that way for years. More the promise of a castle instead of an actual one. Then the owner passed away and the castle was finally sold to new owner, Thomas Post, who set about finishing it. 

The builders were making progress when it caught fire and burned in 2004. Most of us who always took a look over at the castle as we drove by thought that would be the end of a castle in Kentucky. But the owner vowed to rebuild and after several years he opened the Castle Post as a luxury hotel and event site. 

The owner has also generously hosted charity events that opened the doors of the castle to curious local citizens who might never see inside the castle otherwise. Unfortunately, I have never been able to attend one of those events. I've never rented a room there and I won't be making an offer on the castle although my oldest granddaughter used to beg to stop and look through the castle every time she came home with me. She couldn't see why we couldn't just go knock on the drawbridge and be welcomed inside. That was before the new owners turned it into a hotel.

The castle is something of a landmark for us here in Central Kentucky. It's great for directions. You turn by the castle. Or you go so many miles past the castle. And you know, it's just not everywhere here in the states you can drive down the road and look over and see a real honest to gosh castle.  

But I'm happy with my little "castle" out here on the farm. I'll just be content to read a story set in an English castle now and again. Or maybe a story about a Kentucky castle if somebody writes one.

How about you? Have you ever dreamed of living in a castle?  





12 comments:

  1. I've never considered living in a castle, but I suppose it has possibilities. We need to take a drive and see this one of these days. Maybe if my ship comes in (the really big one!) I'll buy it. :) If I do, you and the grandkids are welcome to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. My granddaughters will be thrilled. lol

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine living in a castle. I don't think as a child I even dreamed about it and I dreamed some outlandish things! I'm fairly down to earth. I've always told my family I'd be happy with a cabin in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sound like me, Shirley. That's exactly what I used to say when I was a kid. That I'd be a writer living in a cabin in the woods, maybe the mountain woods, with a dozen or so dogs. Here on the farm with a dog friend and a wonderful family turned out to be the better dream. But I'm still trying to be that writer.

      Delete
  3. Every time my family goes to Lexington we always enjoy gawking at the castle as we drive by. I'm also like your granddaughter and have always wanted a peak inside. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter-in-law did see inside and says sometimes it's better to imagine than to see, Delia. So maybe we're better off just thinking about it looking like we've always thought a castle should look inside. The photos of this one look pretty good though. Maybe it was too modern for my DIL.

      Delete
  4. no interest in living in one but sure would like to view the inside of this one, seen many times as I drove up to see my sister and her family in Lawrenceburg, now they have both passed on so not sure I will even get a glimpse of this ole casle. thanks for showing today Ann, brought back some memories..

    Paula O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, if I'd ever lived in a castle, Paula, I'm sure I'd be one of the maids having to keep the dust off all those fancy furnishings. LOL. I was said to hear about your brother-in-law passing too, Paula. A rough time for you and your family.

      Delete
  5. We drove past that castle several years ago, and one of our daughters fell in love with it. She made us stop so she could get pictures, and there is still one on the corkboard upstairs. I will have to let her know its for sale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, Kevin. You can tell her to click on that link under the top picture to see other photos of the inside of the castle. Pretty neat stuff. She can also Google Versailles Kentucky Castle and get lots of links and pictures. I mean, you don't want to buy something until you check it out thoroughly.

      Delete
  6. Hello, Ann. Carla Hedges suggested I visit your blog and I see that it is most interesting. I never gave castles much thought until Downton Abbey. Now, there is a castle that I could love. Central heat, fabulous art . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That central heat would be a difference maker, Meadowood Scribes. You know it kept the servants busy in the old days carrying wood or coal to all those fireplaces in the castle. Guess they didn't have to worry about their water pipes freezing. Modern conveniences are nice. But a castle would have room for a lot of great furniture and art. Glad you came by to visit.

      Delete

Thanks for joining the conversation. I like hearing what you have to say. Thanks for dropping by.