But I'll talk more about blessings and thanksgiving next week. This week I'm still zeroed in on that "Are you famous?" question the young man asked me at the Book Fair last Saturday. I decided this week that my best answer to him would have been if you have to ask somebody if they're famous then they probably aren't.
But his question still has me thinking about fame. What is fame? And why do so many people seek after it? I went out quote hunting to see what other people have said about fame and found out a lot of people have a lot to say about fame. So here are some of my gleanings.
- You're not famous until my mother has heard of you. - Jay Leno
- I never wanted to be famous: I only wanted to be great. - Ray Charles
- A celebrity is a person who works hard all his life to become well known, then wears dark glasses to avoid being recognized. - Fred Allen
- Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident, and riches take wing. Only one thing endures and that is character. - Horace Greeley
- Don't confuse fame with success. Madonna is one; Helen Keller the other. - Erma Bombeck
- Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. - John Wooden
And you know what? The best place to be "famous" - that is to be loved and appreciated is in your own family. And we're all well known by God. So make sure you're building your fame in the places that matter most.
Till next time. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving next week.
Happy Anniversay!
ReplyDeleteI will be spending Thanksgiving with Don and Bonnie this year. I'm anxious to discuss The Outsider with Bonnie!
Ann, Great quotes! I especially love the one by Erma Bombeck. Hope you and your famiy have a wonderful Thanksgiving. And hope you do a post on all the excitement at your house if you're hosting! I've always thought it would be wonderful to have lots of kids and grandkids! Thank you for your uplifing posts.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the anniversary wishes, Bobbi, and I hope you have a good Thanksgiving with Don and Bonnie. Enjoy your book discussion. My sisters and I love to talk about the books we've read.
ReplyDeleteAnd Laura, it's always great to hear from you. I don't know where that Baker Book catalogue is, but we should have it soon. I'm not hosting Thanksgiving. I'll be visiting the WV son and family and getting a chance to hold those new twins. I can certainly share the craziness of Christmas later on. I'll be ready to contact a builder to add on a bigger room for our celebrations the day after our Christmas gatherings. We're going to be crowded. With blessings.