Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Grandmothers Matter



A garden of Love grows in a Grandmother's heart. ~ Unknown

Grandmothers do matter. That they matter a lot has certainly been clear from all the wonderful grandmother stories I'm receiving. Even those of you who didn't really have a chance to know your grandmothers, realize you missed out on something special and now you're making up for your loss by being wonderful grandmothers to your own grandchildren. 

The lilac Grandmother's Bible would be so perfect for many of you. It's a big print edition and truly a lovely Bible. And I did find a lilac scented candle to give to the winner of the "never win anything" contest. If you haven't entered yet, you still have time. Just shoot me an e-mail from my website or leave a comment here with a way to get in touch should you win. Four prizes total, counting the runner-up prizes. Get the full details on my events page on my website. Just remember to tell me you never win if you never win!

Also have a few blog visits going with chances to win a copy of Scent of Lilacs. Check out my guest posts. "Dark Valley Roads and Bright Mountain Trails" on A Fictional Life  or "Heart of Hollyhill" on Giveaway Lady.

Now on to a grandmother story. First Margie tells us about her remarkable grandmother.



I was born in the home of my maternal grandmother in 1950. One of my aunts and a cousin’s wife acted as midwives….more than likely delivered me before the doctor could make it the 10 or so miles to her house…since there was no telephone, someone had to be dispatched to fetch him! I spent my first 5 years living in Grandmama’s house with my Dad, Mom, older sister, and 2 younger brothers. How I loved my Grandmama! She was widowed shortly after the end of WWII, finished raising their 10 children on her own, never had a job outside the home, and never learned to drive a car. As a tribute to her, all of her children grew up to become productive members of society. There were 6 boys and 4 girls. At least 4 of the boys served in WWII and all the girls learned to cook, sew, can, and quilt. I have wonderful memories of Sunday gatherings at Grandmama’s when all the children and their children would come. That old house overflowed with people, laughter, and love!! My Grandmama was always the heart of our family and we still have a reunion every May in her honor. She was a redhead and she was strong-willed, tough, and independent…and she followed her heart! Her parents had arranged for her to marry a wealthy member of their close-knit community, but just days before their wedding, she eloped with the man who, though many years her senior, was the love of her life. She bore him 12 children and all but 2 survived. She was a woman with an indomitable spirit who taught me many life lessons sitting on her front porch. She’s been gone home to glory for over 30 years and I still miss her so much. There’s going to be a lot of catching up to do when I get home.
 
This comment I got today from Robin. It's short, but it says so much about grandmothers and something I've heard over and over from so many of you - how your grandmothers were faithful Christian examples to you.

"My grandmother was a very strong influence in my life & brought me to the Lord. She has been gone for 35 years now, I still miss talking with her." 
 
That comment made me remember my husband's mother. She loved the grandkids calling her Mama Chris. She was an example of Christian faithfulness to her children and grandchildren. She moved on up to heaven several years back, but we have many wonderful stories to remember her by. She had dementia and ended up in a nursing home after having her leg amputated due to diabetes. But the Lord blessed her with peace of mind in her forgetfulness and she was never agitated or unhappy the way my mother often is. In ways, it was a blessing that she didn't remember because she had long had a horror of having her legs amputated because of diabetic complications. She never seemed to realize her legs were gone. Another blessing. Before she had to go in the nursing home, she went with me to a lot of Darrell's singings. By then, she was already forgetting what she'd said and tended to say the same things when she saw certain things along the road. I rarely go through where a hill has been blasted away to make a straight road without remembering how she would say, with a hint of awe, "We'd have never known all these rocks were under the ground if it weren't for these roads." Other times she'd look at all the cars on the road and say, "I don't know how the gas holds out." But my favorite was when we'd get to church and it would be raining and I would have forgotten the umbrella. She'd smile and say, "It's okay. We're Baptists. We're not afraid of the water." She was a wonderful mother and mother-in-law who loved her grandchildren and loved to laugh. 

 
If nothing is going well, call your grandmother. -Italian Proverb

Thanks for reading. What fun things did your grandmothers say?  



16 comments:

  1. You were so blessed. What I would have given to even have had one Grandparent. I am the oldest of 5, and our Grandparent had all passed, by the time we were born. Makes me appreciate being a Grandma...ahh what a wonderful word...to my three Grandsons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people don't want to be called grandma, but when it's your little grandkid called you that, it's music to the ears. Glad you are enjoying them and they are enjoying you, Maureen.

      Delete
  2. My grandmother was the greatest! She was always there for me when others wasn't. And she was the one that taught me the way to God!
    Likesmusic2@consolidated.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many meet the Lord through the witness and life of a grandparent. I'm glad you had a loving and faithful grandmother, Debbie.

      Delete
  3. my hubbys grandma was the greatest nanny ever she had 13 kids n her hubby was very mean to her n their kids. she was a special nanny. just like my hubby saids anybody can be a grandma but it takes someone special to be a nanny.she was there for her kids n grandkids she went to be with the Lord in 2004.she matters to me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great comment, Ida. Thanks for telling about your husband's Nanny. Thirteen kids must have meant that she had plenty of grandkids to love. I'm guessing she mattered to a lot of people, but it's special to matter to those married into the family too.

      Delete
  4. My grandparents had a very strong influence in my life.
    Back in 1992 I moved bak to be near my grand mother and help to take care of her. I wanted my oldest boys to get to spend time
    with her while they could. I cherish that time that we had with her. No matter how short it may seem to me. Those are memories that
    I will forever carry in my heart and so will my oldest two boys.
    I waish my husband had gotten the chance to know one of his grandparents. They had all passed before he came along. He tends to
    comment about it at times. Always hold your family close no matter what happens.
    CherylB1987@Hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet gift to give your grandmother and your sons too. Great family relationships are such a blessing. I love that last line you wrote. If it's okay, I'd love to share that line forward on my FB page.

      Delete
  5. I would love to win this Bible for my oldest daughter, Debbie. She is such a loving grandmother and know she would love to have it ~ especially since my favorite color is purple and she would remember that. I didn't have grandparents to grow up with. My husband and my parents were deceased too, when our youngest daughter was born. We adopted a grandma and grandpa from church. They loved us so much. Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House
    lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got you entered, Kathleen. It is a beautiful Bible. And isn't it fun to see how love keeps being passed down in a family from one generation to the next. I guess that's one of the pleasures of getting older.

      I just commented on my FB page how if you weren't able to get to know a grandmother because of death or other circumstances, that often others, a loving aunt or friend, step into the gap. Sounds as if you found two of those wonderful people for your daughter.

      Delete
  6. Kathy Milburn
    bearangel0@yahoo.com

    I use to go every summer to stay a few weeks with my Grandma, she lived about 3 hrs from my home and it felt like it always took us forever to get there, and I use to sing the song..Roses are Red..Oh how my brothers use to complain to my Mom and Dad as they were driving LOL Odd how things come to mind when you mention something...I would love to win this contest..Thank You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One set of my grandkids live about three hours away. They don't get to come stay for weeks. I have to sit with Mom too much for that. But they do get to come visit occasionally. One of my granddaughters calls me "faraway grandma." Sort of makes me sad that I can't be more involved in their lives.

      Thanks for your comment, Kathy. I'll enter you in the giveaway.

      Delete
  7. My last grandparent passed in the mid 1980s. I met my husband's paternal grandmother in 2000 or 2001 (she was only a year older than my mother - which ticked my mother off to no end). We brought our boys (then 4 and 2) from Texas to Kentucky to meet her. I was standing at the door with the boys introducing ourselves when my husband walked up from the car. With a twinkle in her eye, she looked at him and said, "I oughtta throw you across the yard," presumably for not bringing her great-grandkids to visit sooner. I knew her better than my own blood relative grandparents. She passed Tuesday a week ago. She is greatly missed in our house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great how we can enjoy grandparents no matter whether they are blood kin or not, LuAnn? I'm so sorry for your loss, but someday she'll be standing up in heaven's doorway waiting for her family and glad to see you "coming home" when it's your time to join her in heaven. Meanwhile, enjoy the wonderful memories of times you shared with her.

      Delete
  8. I really miss my Grandma Bessie who died in 1990, while I was very sick in the hospital and unable to even attend the funeral 6 hours away. She was the BEST Grandma even though she was really my great-aunt. She raised my mom, who was orphaned at age 6. My mom never told me she wasn't my real Grandma, I figured things out, then had to ask. What funny things did she say? Well, for one, after the dinner table was full to overflowing, she's say, "If there's something you want that's not here, just tell me and we'll hunt it up!" One time when I was a teenager and we were washing dishes, I found myself using a piece of soggy roast beef as a dishrag and we laughed so hard... When I was drying dishes and one wasn't totally clean, she'd say "What the washer doesn't wash, the dryer dries!" She was such a hoot and I wish she had lived long enough for my kids to know her better.

    I am so blessed to have 4 granddaughters ages 5 and under. Two more grandbabies are on the way. We have 3 girls and 4 granddaughters. People wonder if we might have a grandSON sometime! Heehee...

    Susan
    moot96 AT aol DOT com (please use AOL email, not gmail as I don't use the gmail)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Grandma Bessie sound like a fun grandmother to have. So glad you had a good time with her while she was still living. It had to be tough not to be able to go to her funeral and say goodbye with the rest of your family. But I'm sure she was looking down on you and understanding while simply hoping you'd be better soon.

      I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't get that grandson soon, but sounds like he's sure to be outnumbered when he does make an appearance!!

      I'll enter you in my giveaway drawing, Susan. Thanks for telling me about your grandmother.

      Delete

Thanks for joining the conversation. I like hearing what you have to say. Thanks for dropping by.