Sunday, October 26, 2014

And the Seeds March On

While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, winter and summer, and day and night shall not cease. (Genesis 8:22)

It's seedtime here again with a new one for you to guess. I'm making you work hard to maybe win a couple of books, but I hope you're having fun too. This might be another not so easy one. Then again, you might guess it right off the bat. I look forward to reading your guesses.

I was right about the last picture not being easy. It might have been easy for me if I'd been on the other end of the mystery picture because I grew up with these little bushes all over our farm. My father did not like them at all. He thought they were pests and had been brought into the area, but when I looked them up online it sounded as if they were supposed to be right here in Kentucky and all over the eastern United States. We always called them buck berry bushes. Here's a buck berry link to information about them. I was completely surprised to see that you can actually buy seeds to grow these bushes and the seeds were expensive. We were always trying to find ways to get rid of the bushes, not grow them. 

Of course, my sister and I "harvested" the little berries to use
in our mud pie kitchen. Made for great "cherry" pies. And they were easy to pick. No thorns and low to the ground. The article said birds and animals eat them. I guess they do, but if so, they must not taste very good because buck berries seem to be the last to be eaten. Must not be exactly like chocolate to the wildlife. Or my dad would say there are just so many of the bushes and thus berries that I'm not noticing that the animals are eating a few of them.

Thanks, as always, for reading. If you want to know about my blog giveaway just go back a few posts to read about it or check out the details here.
















23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. But admitting that got you an entry in my drawing, Gail. Thanks for chiming in.

      Delete
  2. Hollyhocks.
    Don't ask why I guessed that, I don't know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your guess, Loretta. It's not right, but it made me wish I had some hollyhock seeds to show here. I loved playing with hollyhock seeds when I was a kid.

      Delete
  3. I don't know if I'm allowed two guesses, but here goes. My first one is Acorn Burr (Oak). The second one is Burdock Burrs. I'm not sure if either of these are correct but I thought I'd give it a try. shirley(dot)d(at)outlook(dot)com. Oh, and love your Monterey photos! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess as many times as you like, Shirley. It's more fun when people guess. And thanks for looking at my Monterey pictures. I should have more tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. It looks like the seeds that come from what I call "Angel Trumpets". Fun to guess anyway with a fun chance to win! Thanks, have a blessed week...Linda
    dmcfarl101(at)juno(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting guess, Linda. I have angel trumpets and I didn't know they had seeds. So guess that lets you know you weren't right. But I'll let you know what it is on Wednesday or Thursday.

      Delete
  5. This looks like a chestnut!

    texaggs2000 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be a good guess, Britney. All will be revealed in a few days. :)

      Delete
  6. Some kind of burdock/bur thingy. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely some kind of thingy, Ann. Fun guess.

      Delete
  7. Another one that I have no clue ---- sorry, not familiar with Eastern or Northern sees....now show me a catalba bean and I would know right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know about those catalba beans too, but don't have any of them around right now, Annette. And once I reveal the seed name, then you'll have learned something new about these KY seeds.

      Delete
  8. I'm not sure at all, but I want to say chestnut. Vaguely familiar.

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by with a guess, Mary. You could be vaguely right.

      Delete
  9. I am guessing a chestnut as well.

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your guess, Melanie. So fun that you all are joining in with my guessing game.

      Delete
  10. The best I can do at guessing is a fuzzy caterpillar. My first thought with the leaf was a larch tree, although I've never seen one, so I doubt that's even close. Good thing a correct guess isn't required! thimbleluvr at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the most entertaining guess yet, Amy. But you know it does sort of look like a rolled up caterpillar. And in a way a caterpillar is a seed sort of. You know, of a butterfly. Okay, that's stretching this seed thing. LOL.

      Delete
  11. I would say it is an American Chestnut tree seed. It has to be since it is so close to the tree. I have never seen one in real life I don't think.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks like a chinquapin to me. MM

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation. I like hearing what you have to say. Thanks for dropping by.