Sunday, October 19, 2014

Another Seed to Guess

Then God said, "Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb that yields seed, and the fruit tree that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself, on the earth"; and it was so. (Genesis 1:11 NKJ)

Just as I thought, most all of you guessed last week's "seed." They were black walnuts. A few of you had interesting other guesses such as pears, pawpaws, hedge apples, fig, guava, and quince. But no, they were black walnuts. Here's another picture of them after they've fallen off the tree and are on the ground for the picking. The green hull comes off and inside the nut shell is black and very hard. It takes a real knock with a hammer or rock to break them. 

When I was a kid, we picked them up and put them in a low place on our rocky driveway. After the car had run over them a few times to mash off the green outer shell, we picked up the black nuts and let them dry for a while. Then Mom would break them with a hammer. She had a special nut cracking rock that I still have around here somewhere. It took patience to get the nut meat out of the shells with a nut picker, but those black walnuts were delicious in chocolate candy or divinity. Just thinking about how good that was makes me consider saving a few of the walnuts from the squirrels so I can make some Christmas candy like Mom did.

Another walnut memory was from when my kids were young. We'd go out in the fields and pick up the walnuts to sell. We'd have gunny sacks full and the kids would be counting their money before we finally got their dad to take the walnuts to the local feed store where the buyers set up machines to hull the walnuts. The kids never got as much as they dreamed they might get because the nuts weren't weighed until after the green hull was off. So even though we had picked up sacks and sacks of them, the pounds they were paid for was probably less than half that. Still, it wasn't a bad way to spend a beautiful fall day - out in the woods picking up walnuts with the kids. A little hard on the back sometimes. This year we are having a bountiful crop. My mother-in-law used to say that meant we were in for a hard winter, but industrious squirrels won't have to worry about going hungry. I watched one of them bury one of the walnuts in the yard last week to store it for later.

This week's picture is posted up top. Got a guess on them? Another one that might be extra easy for us country girl types. Remember you get an entry in the giveaway for the choice of one of my books and a grab bag book by another author every time you make a guess on one of the seed pictures. Just please let me know a way to contact you in case you are one of the two winners I'll pick on October 31. You don't have to get the guess right. Just make a guess or be like one of my Facebook friends and admit you are not a nature person and haven't the foggiest. :) That will get you entered in the drawing too. As always, thanks for reading.

"Anybody can count the number of seeds in an apple, but only God can count the number of apples in a seed." (Robert H. Schuller)

32 comments:

  1. It looks like it belongs in the grape family. Muscadines?
    Susan Snodgrass
    TSL9 Snodgrass@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great guess, Susan. The answer on Wednesday. Thanks for guessing.

      Delete
  2. They look like grapes... my name is Linda.... marlinford2002@yahoo.com. I love your books Ann......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for guessing, Linda, and even more for loving my books. :)

      Delete
  3. They look like grapes.... my contact info is marlinford2002@ yahoo.com. I love your books Ann...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always heard them called "possum grapes", we also make great wreaths.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saw your comment on Facebook, Micky. Love that name, possum grapes. Thanks for guessing.

      Delete
  5. Looks like it might be wild muscadines . Or..... if you've fooled us with a close up of some sort it could be what we used to call those wild huckleberries. ;) Faye Simer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely you wouldn't think I'd try to trick you, Faye. LOL.

      Delete
  6. My guess would be grapes although I feel sure that is wrong :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your guess, Loretta. And you might not be wrong. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm going with grapes since those look like grape leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good reasoning, Amy. Thanks for guessing.

      Delete
  8. Hey Ann,

    Wow I would have never guessed walnuts lol. I grew up on a farm that had walnut trees and we would eat them.
    I am going to say wild grapes as I love grapes. Thank you for letting me participat with the pictures I love it and it's so much fun.
    oh.hello.hiya@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you were used to seeing them farther along and on the ground, Danie. But they're definitely black walnuts. I love the way they taste. Yum! Just don't like cracking them and picking them out. So glad you're enjoying our little guessing game.

      Delete
  9. wild grapes Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House lanehillhouse[at]centurylink[dot]net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always fun to have you play along with my guessing games, Kathleen.

      Delete
  10. Grapes of some kind.
    kmgervais(at)nycap(dot)rr(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for guessing, Karen. Some puzzles are harder than others.

      Delete
  11. They look like wild grapes to me - but - I have been known to make errors.

    annettena(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all guess wrong sometimes, Annette, but you may have it right or maybe not this time. :)

      Delete
  12. They do look like grape leaves, but otherwise...

    marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm - is it or isn't it? :) Thanks for guessing, Mary.

      Delete
  13. I found that out a long time ago when in KS. visiting my brother-in-law. He and my husband watched me gather a big paper sack full, then when I got home those things were so hard someone needed more muscle than I had to crack them. Then when you did manage to crack one there was hardly any meat inside. I decided that was a good reason the little plastic bags of Black Walmart in stores was so expensive. A hard lesson learned. Maxie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it, Maxie. Those black walnuts are hard to crack and to pick out too. We used to do it though. They are simply delicious in candy.

      Delete
  14. Hi Ann. Looks like too many different ones. First off, they look like purple grapes. Could be chinaberries, but not sure they were this dark. Then there is this tree in my yard that has these small green hard seeds of some sort that later dry up as black little hard balls, and kill my poor barefeet when they fall off the tree onto my porch.. Or my poor feet think so. LOL I'm not good at this. Maxie > mac262(at)me(dot)com <




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure these get that hard, Maxie. They are wild grapes, but they do dry up in the winder time. Whether you get the answer right or wrong doesn't matter. You're still entered in the drawing.

      Delete
  15. Going with grapes on this one, Miss Ann!

    mauback55 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are grapes and then there are grapes, Melanie. These are wild grapes that never get much bigger than the end of a pencil eraser. So you were sort of right.

      Delete
  16. I would have guessed muscadines! They're in the grape family! Linda
    dmcfarl101(at)juno(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you would have been right about being in the grape family, Linda. But these are wild grapes with berries about the size of pencil eraser. Interesting guesses. I'm going to have to go look on your links.

      Delete
  17. These look like grapes to me.

    texaggs2000 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for joining the conversation. I like hearing what you have to say. Thanks for dropping by.