Thursday, June 27, 2013

Fiction and Fun in St Louis - the Gateway to the West

St. Louis - the Gateway to The West. Some might say St. Louis was the second gateway to the west, because at one time the Cumberland Gap into Kentucky was considered the western gateway. In the frontier days, the western frontier kept getting just a little farther west all the time as the pioneers kept moving on in search of land and gold. 

But they say if you're in St. Louis, you should go to the top of the Arch and look where you're headed and where you've been. So Darrell and I can mark that one off our bucket list. Here we are at the top of the Arch. 
 
First we were warned not to buy tickets if we were claustrophobic or couldn't do stairs. No, not because they thought the tram might break down, but because steps lead to the little cars of the tram. Don't the cars look like something out of Star Trek? With his newly repaired knee, Darrell had a hard time crawling inside and then bumped his head on the short ceiling. Plus he had that walking staff. But he was a sport and the view from the top was fantastic even though the windows were merely small, rectangular slits implanted in the curve of the Arch. 

We rode up with a couple from New Zealand and down with a couple from California. Isn't that one of the fun things about being tourists? Meeting other tourists. 

And a great thing about being at the International Christian Retailers' Show was meeting people from all over the world plus some other writers I've heard so much about and read their books. One of those was Irene Hannon who was signing one of her popular mystery suspense books, Vanished, at the Baker Books Booth. I missed out on getting her book. The line was too long, but I did get a photo with her before the signing. 

I also was fortunate to be able to sign an advance reader copy of my book, Christmas at Harmony Hill for the people at the show. So that was fun and you know what? That's something else I can cross off my bucket list. It was fun meeting so many booksellers and Christian book store owners from all across our nation and the world. I shared a table during a break time with a couple from Hong Kong, signed books for people from Nigeria and Malaysia and Australia. Meet a few Canadians too. All good fun in St. Louis. 

Remember about my fun contests going on now to celebrate the release of Small Town Girl. Check out the details on my website or my June 9 blog post, "Celebration Giveaway Fun." Easy to enter and you might win two dozen roses or wind chimes or books. I got lots of autographed books at the convention that I will be giving away in the months ahead. Yay!! But first we'll celebrate my new release. There's also a Facebook contest going on my Facebook author's page. Click on the Win $50 Gift Cards tab there to see details on how you might win if you order Small Town Girl. Worth checking out. Not that many have entered as yet.

Thanks for reading and I'll share some more flower stories Sunday - probably. You never know where I might head off to here on my journal. But I do thank you for tagging along. 

What's on your bucket lists of things you want to do before your time here on earth is through?



10 comments:

  1. Hi Ann, What fun you had! I can assure you that riding to the top of the Arch is NOT on my bucket list! I am terrified of heights...sweaty palms just thinking about it! Winning one of your contests is on my bucket list! No pressure there! Tee-hee...Have a blessed day! Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heights don't bother me as long as there are rails and with the Arch you're totally contained. More apt to drive a claustrophic person into panic. And what fun for you to say winning one of my contests is on your bucket list. You keep entering and one of these days, Linda. Maybe even this time. We'll see on July 13! :)

      Delete
  2. just going to top of a ferris wheel make me antsy, so not sure this would be something for me. I really don't have a bucket list but would like to see more of the USA, have not been to many of the states.
    thanks for sharing your excitement of your trip.
    Paula O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The USA has lots of great states to see. That would be a fun thing to have on a bucket list - touring every state. My dad always wanted to go to Alaska but he didn't get there. Glad you enjoyed reading about my time in St. Louis, Paula.

      Delete
  3. Ann,
    Sounds like you enjoyed St. Louis. Have been through there and seen the Arch, but definitely would not be going to the top. Hate heights. Went to the Washington Monument many years ago and took the elevator to the top. At that time I had my youngest child of about 18 months, who hated being crammed in the elevator and cried all the way up to the top, making it impossible for the tourists to hear the presentation they were giving. I was so embarrassed that I told my friend I was going to walk down the stairs (897 steps) rather than go through that on the way down again. She talked me into getting back on the elevator and my lovely son did the same thing all the way down. I could not get away from there fast enough. It seems funny now, but it wasn't then. Have visited most states, since my husband was in the military for 21 years, but have not been to Maine and would love to go there. Another place to visit on my bucket list is Ireland, and the family is planning to go there next year. Thanks for sharing your experiences on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a fun trip to the top for you that day, Noreen. Or for your little one. But your friend was right to convince you to go back down the elevator. That would have been a long climb down carrying a toddler. But isn't it great how things that were no fun at all when they were happening end up to be things we can laugh about later.

      I've never been to Washington D.C. Maybe that should be on my bucket list. Ireland and Maine sound like good places to have on a bucket list.

      Delete
  4. Hello, Ann, so you are in St. Louis. I live about 45 minutes away in Desoto. And I've been up in the Arch several times, even though I, too, am afraid of heights. I hope you enjoy your stay in our fair city and that you get to see some other things you like here. Thanks again for being part of my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks like I was practically in your backyard, Juanita. I did enjoy being in St. Louis and would have liked to have stayed longer, but had to get back home to take my turns sitting my my mother. Vacations have been hard to come by lately with her illness.

      And I did enjoy visiting your blog.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing you days here in St. Louis, Ann. The Arch is a unique "ride". :) For those with a fear of heights, you don't see anything going "up" or "down" in the Arch. You look out windows at the top that are "safe" for those of us with a fear of heights. Oh....it's best if you do NOT go on a windy day. The Arch has a natural bit of sway built into it. On a windy, the sway can be....uh.....scarey!!!! Wish I could have seen you when you were here, Ann. So, I'll just have to try to win a prize. :)
    Pat in Fenton, MO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm like you, Pat, I didn't feel any fear of the heights. Locked in those little cars could definitely be a problem for some. And I wouldn't want to be up there with the Arch swaying too much. That would be a long way down. :)

      Who knows? Maybe you'll win that prize!

      Delete

Thanks for joining the conversation. I like hearing what you have to say. Thanks for dropping by.